DUE TO A WATER LEAK IN THE VILLAGE, WATER WILL BE SHUT OFF FOR PART OF THE DAY ON MONDAY 3/8/21. THE FOLLOWING STREETS WILL BE AFFECTED:
Welcome to the Village of Brownville
The Village of Brownville is a small community within Jefferson County, NY and is made up of approximately 1200 residents. This small village is located on the Black River nestled between the Villages of Glen Park and Dexter. The village has several small shops such as a pizza shop, a Stewarts gas station, an auto shop, a library and post office. The Village is also close to Jefferson Community College, Watertown International Airport and about 15 minutes from Fort Drum.
General Jacob Brown
Jacob Brown was born on May 9, 1775 in Bucks County Pennsylvania. He became a teacher and land surveyor. As a young man of 24, Jacob set out for the North Country in February 1799, settling on a creek he named the Philomel. He immediately began clearing land for a 20- foot-square family cabin. By October the clearing for what would become the Village of Brownville was well underway.
In December 1802 Jacob married Pamela Williams, with whom he would have 9 children. Although without formal military training, he was appointed Captain, then Colonel of the 108th Regiment of the New York Militia at the onset of the War of 1812. In the spring of 1811, as Brigadier General, he was charged with defending the frontier from Oswego 300 miles to St. Regis with 600 untrained men. He maintained postwar headquarters at his home from 1815 to 1821 before moving to Washington. He died there on February 24, 1828.
Brownville's historical heart is the Generals Georgian Mansion. Built from 1811 to 1815 native limestone frames this 22 room home. Local woods contributed pine and cedar for floors and oak for the main entrance. Each room has a fireplace. 4 chimneys dominated the roof line along with eyebrow windows. It served as Army war and post-war headquarters. General Brown hosted President James Monroe here in August 1817. Brownville became an incorporated village on April 5, 1828. It is one of Jefferson County's oldest communities. The mansion now houses the village office, library and community center.